Sing Jazz 2014 - Charmed By A Sax

Singapore International Jazz Festival (Sing Jazz) 2014
Event Plaza, Marina Bay Sands
South, Singapore
February-March 2014

Merlion Wayfarer had the opportunity to attend the finale of Sing Jazz - Singapore International Jazz Festival 2014. Held over 4 days at the Marina Bay Sands, the night was "Unforgettable in Singapore"...


 

Roy Hargrove

Mentored as a teenager by trumpeter Wynton Marsalis, Artistic Director of Jazz at Lincoln Center in New York City, Roy Hargrove has won Grammy Awards for two vastly different projects - 1997's Best Latin Jazz Performance Grammy for the album Habana and Best Instrumental Jazz Album for Directions in Music in 2002. His flaring tone has a lyrical warmth which he fuses into both traditional and contemporary music played, turning his gigs into exuberant jazz pieces.


Simple layout with tiered steps and barricades to separate the various sections...
 

The Earth, Wind & Fire Experience

A recipient of five Grammy Awards, Al McKay is a former member of the American funk band Earth, Wind & Fire. He now performs with his band, The Al McKay Allstars, performing a show called The Earth, Wind & Fire Experience, and tours along the major jazz festivals in the world with this 14-piece ensemble.

After a long-awaited intermission between the artistes which include the MBS fountain show, the opening was met with a rousing cheer from the audience...

Despite the upbeat numbers, the audience was confined to their chairs...
   

Gregory Porter

Gregory Porter wields one of the most captivating baritone voices in music today. It emits enormous soul that conveys both the emotions and intellect of any given song as he sings familiar favourites from his Liquid Spirit album

“I firmly consider myself a jazz singer but I enjoy blues, southern soul, and gospel... Those elements make their way inside my music. And I’ve always heard them in jazz...”

That's the unique quality about Gregory Porter's music - Soothing as it serenades. 


Music aside, the other distinctive thing about Porter is what he wears : Gregory Porter is never seen without his trademark hat and balaclava-like headgear that wraps the sides of his head:
"It's just my style... I wear it whether it's cold or warm...  It makes me feel comfortable and I don't think it gives any extra powers to my voice... " 

 (Source : AllAboutJazz)
    
"I don't really care about the technical definitions of what it is that I do. I want people to feel my humanity and the message I would like to get across after all the songs that I've written, sang and performed. I would like them to come away with the idea of mutual respect. That's something I want to get across in my music..."


Yosuke Sato

Yosuke Sato, together with Chip Crawford (piano), Aaron James (double bass), and Emanuel Harold (drums) provide the music to Gregory Porter's vocals. However, instead of being a background musician with the occasional like so many other saxophone players, Yosuke steps out into the foreground and takes control of the stage with his brilliant solo intermissions and nifty fingerwork. He alternates between more technical dexterity and romantic passion with seamless manoeuvres. At times, it felt as if the song was just written for him and him alone...

Even Gregory himself openly acknowledges Yosuke's rapport with the audience,
"You are getting more claps than me!"

(Source : AllAboutJazz)


Indeed, Merlion Wayfarer was truly charmed...
  

More photos are available on Merlion Wayfarer's Picasa at :